Sunday 14 July 2013

Wayzgoose

Last week I attended my first ever Wayzgoose. It's a print making thing, I was told. I was a little wary and not even convinced that this was a real word, let alone an event. However, I took my courage in both hands and went along, and I'm very glad I did because in turned out to be excellent fun and nothing to do with geese, which is always a bonus.
When I returned, I looked up the word "wayzgoose" on Wikipedia and this is what it said:

wayzgoose was at one time an entertainment given by a master printer to his workmen each year on or about St Bartholomew's Day (24 August). It marked the traditional end of summer and the start of the season of working by candlelight. Later, the word came to refer to an annual outing and dinner for the staff of a printing works or the printers on a newspaper.

Well, we didn't quite make it to St. Bartholomew's day, but the weather was glorious,the company was delightful, the bring-and-share picnic was delicious and the river was inviting. I even went in. Up to my knees!
And I'm looking forward to print making by candle light next season.









No comments:

Post a Comment